If you invested any of your time and energy with me while my story was unfolding, I owe you an apology. Eight months ago, I buried the lede about the biggest revelation of this ongoing story, and then I disappeared.
Spoiler: my biological father is, in fact, my mother’s fertility doctor.
I could bore you with the mundane details of these past eight months. In time, I will. But for today, I’ll attempt to be succinct and comprehensive with the stuff that matters (along with some repeated info for context). Let’s dive in.
- April 21, 2021: I have a phone call with one of the doctor’s known daughters. Between our first call and our second, she discovers this blog (the same one you’re reading). She texts me that she feels almost certain she knows who my biological father is. She agrees to take a DNA test to confirm if my/her suspicions are correct.
- May 25, 2021: The results of our DNA Siblingship test arrive in my inbox. She and I are a 99.99% confirmed match as half-siblings, and thus confirms what I’d anticipated/dreaded/expected — that my mother’s fertility doctor is my biological father.
- June 8, 2021: Two weeks later, my son, Noah, is born.
- June 25, 2021: I have the opportunity to meet my ‘new’ half-sister, along with two of my other half-sisters, here in Miami. It’s disorienting and special and overwhelming. And it’s full of fear that largely come down to a fragile ego, self-imposed expectations of myself, and a quickly growing-but-still-undiagnosed bout with depression.
- Blah blah blah: Life goes on, work gets crazy. I turn 37. I get help for depression, get myself back together and…still avoid writing.
Then, things start to heat up.
- September 14, 2021: My half-sister files a lawsuit against our mothers’ fertility doctor. It’s picked up in a story by the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle . The doctor is publicly named for the first time. His name is Morris Wortman. The story is picked up internationally, running in the Washington Post, among others. And of course, on the Facebook page of the Maury Show.
Like, really start to heat up.
- February 28, 2022: The New York Times releases a story about me, my half-siblings, and explains that there are at least three known physicians in Rochester, NY who were found to have used their own sperm to impregnate several of their patients. The story also features a glamour shot of yours truly.
- March 15, 2022: WSVN/Fox 7 Miami runs a story about the above, through my lens. They forget to tell me that you can see me barefoot in the opening montage. Around this time, we learned of at least one confirmed new half-sibling, and potentially another. To the best of my knowledge, including the doctor’s known children, there are 15 of us.
Then, I got a phone call from a producer for Good Morning America. Two weeks later, this:
- April 1, 2022: My half-sister, Morgan, and I, are featured on the popular morning show. My mom makes a cameo. Juju Chang does the story an incredible amount of justice in four minutes.
- April 11, 2022: Today! We are awaiting an air date for an additional feature piece with ABC’s Nightline. It will take footage/content from the Good Morning America piece and expand upon it. I am told it may be 12 or so minutes long.
I’ll have more for you soon. And again, if you’re still reading, I’m grateful that you are.
Glad you have Jessie and Noah in your life for love and stability. And remember all the people who love you no matter who you came from. There are those who know who their biological parents are and the relationship sucks! And I love you David Berry!
David, I only wish that I had been there for you, to help you through this grueling journey. Please know that I am just a text or phone call away (talk loud over the cows mooing) and I will ALWAYS be here to support you and your beautiful, loving and growing family. Keep feeling and keep writing. I love you so damn much, David Berry!
David, I keep reading your blogs, over & over. I keep watching the segment over & over. I have no words to say, that would make sense.
Every time, I look @ this I just cry. I cry for so many reasons,.
I will just keep on rambling, but you are the little boy, with the beautiful smile, who was Matthew’s buddy through out school.
You were in cub scouts together, your mom, babysat Matthew, for me, when I, went to work as a lunch lady @ the school where you & Matthew went to.
I can not imagine , nor do I try too, because, everyone’s world has been turn upside down.
Another thing that upsets me, is, Dr. Wortman was my doctor @ the Wilson Health center.
Having him as my obgyn was short lived.
When he came on board, he got rid of all, the midwives, that worked there ( I think it was some kind of power thing, although, I really do not know, why it did that).
I had a midwife for two of my deliveries & I was heartbroken, when they were dismissed. Another thing that bothers me, is this man touched me. I know this sounds weird, I know he was my doctor, but, now, that I know, he was some kind of monster, I feel, disgusted that this man had touched my body.
Was he a doctor? A sick person, who kind of thought he was god? I don’t know, I don’t think any of us will ever know, what drove this man.
To do what he did.
Leave a comment